Taking pills is awful no matter who you are.
Think about it.
Dogs, a species that enjoys eating its own poop, cringe at the thought of swallowing pills. Thankfully, Pinterest offers tips on how to be the [dog pill] Master of Disguise.
5 Ways to Make Your Dog Swallow Pills
From hand feeding to traditional pill pockets, a variety of methods exist for getting dogs to take pills. While there are no guarantees that these will work for your dog, all of these have been successful in tricking even the most stubborn canines.
Method 1: By Hand
- Have dog sit upright
- Open dog’s mouth
- Drop pill into mouth
- Carefully massage throat to get dog to swallow
Method 2: Powder + Peanut Butter
- Grind the pill
- Mix it with peanut butter
- Feed to dog
- Youtube instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8CKuM9rH8
Method 3: “Meatballs”
- Form 2 separate balls from a can of wet food, like meatballs
- Put pill into center of one ball
- First feed dog un-medicated ball
- Then feed dog medicated ball
- Gloat because you were sneakier than a ninja in a soundproof room
Method 4: Hot Dogs
- Cut a piece off a hot dog
- Place pill inside
- Feed to dog
- See a picture guide here
Method 5: Pill Pockets
This is the sophisticated cousin of hot dogs and meatballs, but pill pockets can be expensive if you buy them from a store. Here’s our favorite homemade pill pocket recipe that your dog and wallet will love!
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 cup flour
Mix ingredients together. Form into pockets and store in fridge/freezer. Yield: 30 pockets
We hope you find this guide helpful. If you’ve got any other secrets or tricks on how you get your dogs to take their meds, feel free to leave a comment below!
About Lacey Guck
Lacey handles product marketing at dogIDs, where she writes website content and manages social media. She has two family Golden Retrievers named Bailey and Cooper, and she volunteers at a local dog rescue in Fargo, ND. In her free time, Lacey enjoys performing as a vocalist and piano accompanist.