While retractable leashes may seem like a way to make dog walks easier, you might want to take a second look. Below is a list of the top 4 reasons why we are absolutely, positively not in love with retractable leashes:
1. They’re dangerous for your dog. These leashes can practically extend across state lines. The extra length gives your dog freedom…to walk uncontrolled into traffic. In addition, if an aggressive dog approaches your pet while you have 26 feet of leash extended, a brutal battle could take place. Plus, the leash cord can snap easily and without warning.
2. They’re dangerous for you. First, retractable leash handles can be slippery and difficult to grip in a situation where you need to reign in your dog. Second, if you try to grab the leash cord, you risk cuts, burns, falls, and even amputation. We recommend keeping all limbs in order to make future dog walking easier.
3. They teach your dog to pull. A retractable leash lets your dog think, “The more I pull, the farther away I can get from my owner! This is pretty aweso…look! A squirrel!”
4. They stink. Literally. When your leash gets retracted, germs, moisture, and unpleasant odors also retract within the leash handle. Basically, it’s a disgusting place for stinkiness to host meetings and take over the leash that promised to bring you nothing but happiness. Unfortunately, this leash lied to you.
5. Still not convinced? Here’s a story to scare the wits right out of you. An owner named Lynn writes, “Retractable Dog Leashes: How To Nearly Kill Yourself In Three Easy Steps.”
Fortunately, there is a solution. Get a new leash. Here’s a couple options that are safe, durable, and great for those on a budget:
Nylon Dog Leash. This leash won’t fray or fade, and it can even be used hands-free!
Waterproof Leash. Made from a rubbery Soft Grip material, this leash looks like leather but can take a beating.
Even though your retractable leash might seem like a convenient choice, the risk of danger is high. By returning to a standard leash, you can walk your dog without your dog walking you!